SERVICE DESK ANALYST Job in Sydney NSW at Australian Financial Security Authority (AFSA) –
Location: Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Hobart
Division/Section: Internal Client Services Division / ICT Service Delivery and Support
Reports to: Assistant Director – Technology Services
Employment status: Ongoing / Non-ongoing (temporary)*
Hours: Full time – 37.5 hours per week
Security clearance: Negative Vetting 1
Salary: $69,730 – $75,709 p.a. (plus 15.4% super)
Closing date: Thursday, 16 December 2021
Contact for questions: Lidia Artiga Ph: (02) 6198 3513
AFSA actively promotes flexibility with working options in this role to support your family
commitments and personal interests
- This recruitment process is being used to fill current ongoing positions in either our Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne,
Sydney, Perth or Hobart office. A merit pool of suitable candidates may be established as a result of this process to assist AFSA
to fill similar ongoing and non-ongoing positions that may become available over the next 12 months. Non-ongoing positions
may be offered for a period of up to 18 months with the possibility of extension (up to a total period of 3 years). Should a non-
ongoing position become ongoing or should an ongoing position become available, the merit pool established by this process
may be used to determine a suitable candidate(s).
Please note that this opportunity is open only to Australian Citizens. The successful applicant must have,
or be willing to undergo a security clearance to the level of Negative Vetting 1 as a condition of
To satisfy character requirements all AFSA employees must undergo a police records check. Where a
person has received a redundancy benefit from APS agency employment and their corresponding
redundancy benefit period has not expired, they may be ineligible for employment.
About the area
The Internal Client Services Division is responsible for delivering a range of business and enabling
services that support the Australian Financial Security Authority purpose through partnering with
business divisions that regulate Australia’s personal insolvency and personal property securities
The Division provides professional services and leadership that promotes the efficient and effective
operations of the agency whilst ensuring compliance with commonwealth legislation, polices and
guidelines and promoting integrity, accountability, and transparency.
Purpose of the position
To provide responsive, reliable and respectful 1st level ICT client support and service as part of the ICT
Service Desk Team.
The Technology Services Team will maintain and promote a strong client focussed ICT service culture to
support AFSA’s business operations.
The responsibilities of the Service Desk Analyst will include, but are not limited to:
- delivering first level support to AFSA’s stakeholders via incoming enquiries and fault reports from
customers received through a variety of channels including email, chat and through the service
- triaging incidents for escalation as required
- ensuring first level ICT queries and issues are identified, recorded, diagnosed and resolved in a
timely manner including internal escalations within ICT and those involving external Vendors
- ensuring clients are kept up to date on the status of reported incidents and resolving issues within
established timeframes in accordance with Service Level Agreements
- working collaboratively within a geographically dispersed Service Desk and escalated support teams
to ensure a quality outcome for clients
- contributing to information sharing within the team by documenting processes and standard
operating procedures as required, and proactively updating the knowledge base for both client and
- providing backup to the onsite Technology Operations analyst when required
- providing regular updates to the customer by monitoring the progress of the fault resolution
- conducting all work in accordance with agency policy and formal agreements between customers
and the Service Desk
- understanding IT policies & procedures.
All duties will be performed in accordance with:
- The APS Values, Code of Conduct and Employment Principles
- WHS obligations, taking responsibility for own health and safety and that of others.
Skills and Capabilities
Fosters a service culture
- Keep clients and stakeholders at the centre of all thinking, decisions and actions, including internal
systems and processes.
- Demonstrate empathy and listen deeply, to understand the stakeholder’s context, challenges and
needs Keep one’s word, and follow through any promise or commitment made to the stakeholder.
- Demonstrate willingness and ability to explore and utilise existing and emerging technologies
effectively to achieve better business outcomes.
Communicates simply, tailors’ messages to the audience
- Communicate clearly in plain English, without using jargon.
- Demonstrate an ability to convey a message succinctly and with empathy, regardless of medium
(written, verbal, digital).
- Understand the target audience, and tailors written and verbal messages in a way that appeals to
Working with ambiguity
- Demonstrate proactivity, emotional intelligence and self-direction in the face of uncertainty or new
- Demonstrate high levels of persistence and resilience when dealing with complex issues, apply a
solution-focused approach to solving problems and collaborate with others to achieve fit for purpose
Qualifications, accreditations and experience
- Ability to apply Level 1 troubleshooting/investigations on all reported ICT issues (hardware and
software) using appropriate toolsets to determine the root cause and recorded in a Service Desk
- Experience in IT customer service role or similar
- Experience and knowledge of end user hardware components (Desktop equipment and peripherals,
networked printers, mobile devices, scanners, audio visual)
- An understanding of service management frameworks such as ITIL
- Sound technical knowledge, including Microsoft Windows technologies Office products.
- Experience managing Microsoft Active Directory objects
- Excellent customer service skills
- A sound understanding and knowledge of video conferencing technologies and concepts.
The application is the tool that the selection committee will use to shortlist applicants.
Your application must include:
1. a completed Position Application Form (available on the AFSA website)
2. a current Resume/ CV including contact details for at least two recent referees
3. a 1 – 2 page pitch that considers the key responsibilities and essential capabilities of the position
and states the following:
- Why you are interested in the position
- How your skills and experience make you the best person for the position
- What value you can add to AFSA and the Internal Client Services Division.
4. the position title and location in the subject line and email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be submitted no later than Thursday, 16 December 2021.
A selection decision may be made on the basis of your application only. A telephone interview may be
conducted in the first instance. Candidates may also be required to undergo psychometric and/or work
sample testing as part of this selection process.
All pre-employment checks will be conducted via an external party (Equifax). For further information on
We encourage applications from Indigenous Australians, peoples from culturally diverse
backgrounds and people with disabilities. We are committed to providing a working environment
that values diversity and supports staff to reach their full potential.
If you are an applicant with a disability or other special needs, please contact the Disability Access
Coordinator on (02) 8233 6999 to discuss any requirements that may assist you in your application.
Thank you for your interest in this position.
About the Company
Company: Australian Financial Security Authority (AFSA) –
Company Location: Sydney NSW