Digital Designer Job in Melbourne City Centre VIC at State Library of Victoria –
- An exciting opportunity for a highly motivated individual to join an energetic and driven team
- Fixed term, full-time role based in Melbourne CBD
- Attractive VPS 3.1 salary between $68,884 – $76,263 + 10% superannuation
About the opportunity
Reporting to the Creative and Digital Products Manager, the Digital Designer will design, develop and maintain State Library Victoria’s websites assets, digital applications and other digital products in line with internal style guides and design, usability and accessibility standards.
Drawing upon design and user research, the Digital Designer will iteratively improve the impact of design assets to the overall digital user experience. You will contribute and respond to creative briefs and ensure that the visual design of the Library’s digital offerings aligns with brand guidelines and supports marketing strategies for key projects, programs and initiatives.
This role will work alongside the Senior Digital Designer, and collaboratively within and across multidisciplinary teams, including product development, content producers, marketing, brand and communications, as well as external providers to ensure design provides an optimum user experience employed at each stage of a user’s journey. This will include responsibility for creating conceptual artefacts, such as wireframes, storyboards and prototypes, and designing new digital assets, including responsive user interface design, digital banners, animated motion graphics and social media assets.
Your key accountabilities will include:
- Brand and user standards applied across all product platforms, ensuring all digital design is in line with internal style guides and design, usability and accessibility standards.
- Creative, innovative digital design and conceptual artefacts that deliver an engaging, accessible user experience.
- Devising creative digital solutions for onsite digital assets and online platforms, including iterating and improving designs of existing digital properties and/or rebranding or modifying the user interface of existing webpages.
- Ensuring that the projects are delivered on time and to agreed scope in conjunction with internal stakeholders and external providers.
For more information about the role, please refer to the position description.
As our ideal candidate: you will have/be:
- Strong project management skills to deliver design solutions according to project scope, ensuring timely delivery of high-quality design assets
- A recognised bachelor’s degree in digital design, multimedia and/or equivalent professional experience working in digital design or digital production, ideally in an agile environment
- Extensive experience in digital or user interface design in a digital or advertising agency or an in-house environment
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator) or similar design tools
- Experience working with Adobe XD or similar prototyping tools
- Deep understanding of the interactions between design, digital technologies, research and frontend development (desirable)
- Some skills in Adobe After Effects, animation and motion graphics and video editing (desirable)
- An understanding of HTML5, CSS and responsive development concepts (desirable)
- Outstanding stakeholder management skills
- A problem solver and conceptual thinker with a client focus
- Creative, collaborative, adaptive and detail-orientated
State Library Victoria promotes a workplace that actively seeks to welcome and value the unique contributions of all people. We strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people with disability, people from cultural and linguistical diverse backgrounds, LGBTIQ+ and people of all ages and abilities to apply.
Culture and Benefits
We are committed to developing and supporting a high performing workforce and an inclusive work environment. As a State Library Victoria employee, you will enjoy:
- Competitive salary
- Career advancement opportunities across a range of disciplines: information management, conservation, preservation, digitisation, curatorship, philanthropy, communications, information technology, strategy, policy, governance, finance and procurement, human resources and more
- Transparent performance framework – approach your work with confidence in how you are tracking, working to professional development plans agreed on by you and your manager
- Professional development opportunities, including assignment and secondment opportunities, internal and external learning opportunities and Victorian Public Sector employee networks (e.g. diversity & inclusion groups, new ways of working group, etc)
- Generous leave entitlements, including 20 days of annual leave, 18 days of paid personal leave, 14 weeks of paid parental leave, purchased leave, study leave, multicultural leave, family violence leave and more
- Flexible working arrangements, including changes in hours of work, patterns of work and work area
- Salary packaging, including salary sacrifice arrangements
- Discount on public transport
- Health and wellbeing programs, including employee assistance program, annual flu vaccination
Find out more about our inclusion, diversity and access initiatives.
State Library Victoria is overseen by Creative Victoria, part of the Victorian Government’s Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions, and reports to the Minister for Creative Industries.
It is Australia’s oldest public library. Over more than 160 years, we have collected almost 5.5 million items including books, manuscripts, serials, photographs, artworks, maps and ephemera. Each year we add more than 70,000 heritage items to the Library’s rich collection.
We strengthen communities and inspire participation with a full calendar of free exhibitions, events, talks, workshops and children’s programming every season.
Our staff are passionate, motivated, professional, welcoming and proud to work in one of Melbourne’s most prized architectural jewels and best-loved cultural icons. We treasure our rich heritage and collection, and are excited by the Library’s future as a place that inspires possibilities for all Victorians.
Find out more about our values, goals and strategy.
How to apply
Please click the Apply button to submit your application via Careers.Vic, attaching the following documents:
- Cover letter (maximum 3 pages) summarising how you meet the key selection criteria in the position description
For a confidential discussion, please contact Stephen Duff, on (03) 8664 7397 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We want all applicants to have an equal opportunity to demonstrate that they are the best person for the job. If you require an adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process, please email our People and Projects team at email@example.com.
Applications close AET 11:59pm Thursday, 7 October 2021
About the Company
Company: State Library of Victoria –
Company Location: Melbourne City Centre VIC